Friday, August 15, 2014

Plein Air Workshop Paintings

red roof (800x649)

About a month ago, I took part in a plein air painting workshop taught by one of my favorite artists, Tim Horn. I’ve admired his work for a long time and finally got the opportunity to sign up for one of his workshops. It was held in Door County, Wisconsin amid beautiful scenery. Tim’s demos focused on how to clearly show light and shadow with warm and cool colors and strong value patterns, so we pretty much gravitated toward painting buildings and structures instead of ordinary landscapes. I learned so much and had a great time with fellow artists. I’ve been trying to apply what I learned and I’ll post my efforts in the days to come. Meanwhile, these are paintings from the workshop. The top one was done on the last day…starting to get the idea. Below is a quick one done toward the end of Day 2, and the bottom one was our first “warm-up” exercise painted outdoors in the bright sun.

late in the day

practice

No comments:

Post a Comment